Wednesday, April 30, 2008

like the wind


through much of my life i hated the act of running. i found it boring, tiresome and extra boring. however, a few years ago there were no other cardio machines available at the gym and i hopped on the treadmill. walking seemed lazy, so i amped it up a bit. to my astonishment, i was running- and liking it! after a few weeks i thought to myself, "if i could do a marathon that would be the ultimate accomplishment." well, registration for the 33rd marine corps marathon in DC opened up today, and i signed-up :) i've been training for a little over a month, running about 4-5 times per week and will continue with that through the marathon in late october. it's been great so far, even though some nights i would much rather plop down on the sofa and veg out- i've literally got to change into my running clothes immediately after getting home from work or else i somehow find a way to justify sweat pants and a nap. i'm sure it will be hard and cumbersome at times, but i'm REALLY excited about it and try to keep myself motivated with thoughts about how lucky i am to have a fully functional body that allows me to do something like this...perspective is everything. if anyone else is interested, i definitely encourage you to sign up...spots are limited though so HURRY!!!!




2 comments:

The Jernigans said...

Way to go! Makes me tired just thinking about it--I would love to come walk it, at least...hmmm, you've inspired me to find a marathon/walk around here!
Good luck!!

Mrs. Fix said...

WORD UP JENN! That's awesome! I'll have to come out and cheer you on!